Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What ever happened to Identity Protection?

I just got home from my bank and I feel violated! I needed additional checks for my personal account and submitted the form that comes with the last bunch of checks to order some new ones. She asked me for my driver's licence! When I asked why she needed it since this had nothing to do with my driving. She stated that the bank's computer needed my licence number?!!?!? Talk about getting the wrong information out! I could not see the connection. Banking --- Driving... They know who I am, I've been with them for over 10 years. I will tell you, I never saw this teller before now she have my Personal Information... Not exactly making me feel warm and fuzzy!

You see all the stuff about people finding out about you on the Internet... Well I never gave anyone my Driver's License number on the Internet. What protection do I have that this teller will not use or pass on that information to someone else.... NONE! I believe we give away more information to trusted(?) sources than we think. In the bigger scheme of things why does your bank need that info. To prove you are you? What about the fact that I've been banking with them for 10 years? Or does that not count! I could have given her a false license and how would she know? Instead I was honest and now a stranger has my personal information.

So getting the wrong information out seems some much easier these days. What are business owners doing to get the right information out? Are we sticking out our hand and introducing yourself to the person you are standing next to? Are you wearing your own logo? Are you reaching out to others that you can help? Probably not... but we are giving away our personal information....

Who out there is paying for Identity Protection? I would like to hear your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment