Mario Lavandeira has made millions as the blogger behind PerezHilton.com. Perez Hilton celebrity gossip blog is read by millions every day and he is one of the most visible and popular bloggers online.
The blog reports to average over 260 million page views a month, hit a record day with 13.9 million page views this week and has a very loyal readership.
Here are the 5 things every business can learn from PerezHilton.com:
1. Find a topic you have passion for. A topic that you can and would love to write about daily or at least weekly. Perez focused on celebrities “because it was something I was inherently curious about, fascinated with.”
2. Be consistent. Post on a regular blogging schedule. Perez Hilton posts new articles to his blog an average of 40 times a day. Most business can't keep that pace but find one you can keep up with.
3. Be unique. Celebrity-focused websites are nothing new, but Perez Hilton created his own oversize persona to stand out from the crowd. You the business owner can do the same. Just takes a little imagination.
4. Be provocative. Perez often makes harsh and derogatory comments about celebrities. This results in a ton of publicity as celebrities respond back, media reports it and readers share it with their friends. You may not want to go this route but voicing your own opinion never hurt.
5. Expand your blog. Perez has used his blog success to expand into other media and has built an entire empire around his persona. TV shows, radio shows, clothing line, book deal…
Incorporating these 5 steps into your daily/weekly blogging will make sure that your blog gets more attention, gets an increased readership, gets forwarded and shared virally and will ensure that you build your profile, your brand and increase blog traffic.
Richard M.J. Jarosz
Lone Keep Internet, Inc.